2009 Border Battle Results
Posted: March 17th, 2009
NE Iowa wins Border Battle over Minnesota, 43-31; lead series 5-3
By Ken Becker
Cresco Times-Plain Dealer
Northeast Iowa wrestlers won 11 of 18 matches Friday night to lay claim to the Border Battle title in the eighth annual match-up of Northeast Iowa seniors against Southeast Minnesota grapplers.
The 43-31 victory gives the Iowans a 5-3 advantage in the series.
Iowa started off strong, winning the first five matches to go up 18-0. The opening match was a win by Crestwood senior Nick Hagen as he got the Iowa team off to a good started with a 4-1 decision over Nathan Manful of LARP (Lanesboro-Rushford-Peterson).
Minnesota tightened up the team race by also winning five in a row to make it 18-18. Two of those Minnesota wins were a close 4-3 decision by Bobby Dulitz of Austin over Ross Kurash of Turkey Valley and a narrow decision over Crestwood’s Jed Greenslade. It was an especially tough loss by Greenslade as Tony Becker of LARP pulled a 7-6 win needing three overtimes.
After Minnesota took a 21-18 lead, Andrew Rhodes of MFL/Mar-Mac started the Iowa team on a run of four consecutive wins and six of the next seven. Rhodes, who placed third in the Iowa state wrestling tournament, decisioned Lucas Jensen of Stewartville, 8-5.
Following Rhodes’ win was a convincing 9-3 decision by Quinn Meirick of Turkey Valley over Jacob Hamlin of GMLOK. Meirick placed fifth at the state meet and came into Friday night’s match with an impressive 37-2 record. Hamlin was also a state qualifier for the Minnesota state tournament, which wrapped up the previous weekend, and was 33-9 on the season. Iowa’s tournament wrapped up three weeks earlier and some of the Iowa wrestlers had not been on a wrestling mat for a month or more.
Giving Iowa breathing room in the team race were pins recorded by Kolby Berg of Osage and Dallas Hendrickson of St. Ansgar. Berg recorded his fall over Ethan Reed of Albert Lea in 1:03 with Hendrickson, who placed third in the state and came into the Border Battle with a 41-3 record, needing only :49 to pin Jamie Thomas of Fillmore Central.
The fastest pin of the night was recorded by Tyler Ellingson of Decorah as he needed only 18 seconds to pin Jeremy Hauger of Stewartville.
A crowd of several hundred was on hand for the Border Battle, which is sponsored by the Iowa Wrestling Hall of Fame in Cresco. In addition to supporting the hall, the Border Battle also gives area college wrestling coaches an opportunity to see high school wrestlers one more time.
- Nick Hagen, Crestwood, won 4-1 dec. over Nathan Manful, LARP.
- Andy Hugeback, New Hampton, won 7-3 dec. over Justin Haase, Stewartville.
- Tyler Ellingson, Decorah, won :18 fall over Jeremy Hauger, Stewartville.
- Josh Hundt, MFL/Mar-Mac, won 6-4 dec. over Alex Churchill, Southland.
- Daniel Frana, South Winneshiek, won 7-5 dec. over Kaylen Gottman, Stewartville.
- Craig Mai, New Hampton, lost 1:59 fall to Logan Kortan, Albert Lea.
- Jordan Ackerman, Osage, lost 1:51 fall to Blaine Coyle, Fillmore Central.
- Ross Kurash, Turkey Valley, lost 4-3 dec. to Bobbie Dulitz, Austin.
- Jed Greenslade, Crestwood, lost 7-6 (3 OT) to Tony Becker, LARP.
- Andrew Casper, Decorah, lost 8-1 dec. to Ethan Eggum, Austin.
- Andrew Rhodes, MFL/Mar-Mac won 8-5 dec. over Lucas Jensen, Stewartville.
- Quinn Meirick, Turkey Valley, won 9-3 dec. over Jacob Hamlin, GMLOK.
- Kolby Berg, Osage, won 1:03 fall over Ethan Reed, Albert Lea.
- Dallas Hendrickson, St. Ansgar, won :49 fall over Jamie Thomas, Fillmore Central.
- Nick Hagen, Crestwood, lost 1:01 fall to Cody Hanson, Albert Lea.
- Taylor Reicks, MFL/Mar-Mac, won 17-4 (major) dec. over Alex Churchill, Southland.
- Eric Horstman, Central Springs, won 10-3 dec. over Justin Haase, Stewartville.
- Tyler Ellingson, Decorah, lost 11-2 (major) dec. to Charlie Hinsch.