2008 Border Battle Results
Posted: March 12th, 2008
Minnesota wrestlers roll late to capture Border Battle, 49-39
By Ken Becker
Cresco Times-Plain Dealer
High school wrestlers mostly from Southeast Minnesota won five of the final six matches to edge a team composed of Northeast Iowa wrestlers, 49-39, in the Border Battle wrestling exhibition held Friday night in the Crestwood gym.
A total of 24 matches were held with nearly 600 wrestling fans in attendance.
The seventh annual event is sponsored every March by the Iowa Wrestling Hall of Fame, headquartered in Cresco. Funds raised by the meet support the hall of fame, located at the Cresco Welcome Center. The meet also gives college coaches an opportunity to see wrestlers in action one last time. All of the wrestlers are seniors and have completed their high school wrestling careers.
Two of the three Crestwood wrestlers competing, Tannor Burke and Mitch Kriener, won their matches in impressive fashion to the delight of the home crowd.
Burke, wrestling at 130, scored an escape and a takedown in the final period on the way to a 7-3 decision over Jon Hegge of Southland. Hegge came into the match with an impressive 24-2 record. Burke, who was a state qualifier this year after finishing second last year at 119, posted a 30-5 record in his final year as a Cadet.
Kriener was equally impressive as he defeated Zach Peterson of Plainview-Elgin-Millville, 8-4, in their 171-pound match. Kriener, who placed fifth at the state meet recently, completed his high school career with a 32-5 record. Peterson placed second in the Minnesota state meet with a high school record this past season of 37-5.
Each team won 12 of the matches. The Minnesota team won the meet by virtual of three pins and an injury default. The Iowa team picked up one fall. Eight of the matches were decided by one point.
The Iowa team won five matches in a row, started by a fall from Nolan Hammel of Osage, to wipe out a 28-18 deficit and move on top, 36-28. However, the Minnesota team won the next five matches, two by pins, to move on top by 13 points.
Although the majority of the Minnesota wrestlers were from school districts in or bordering Mower, Fillmore and Houston counties, two participants were from United South Central, located near Blue Earth, MN. The Iowa wrestlers were from school districts in or adjourning Mitchell, Howard, Winneshiek and Allamakee counties.
Results (Iowa wrestlers listed first):
- Josh Scheer, Osage, lost dec. to Lee Berg, 5-4.
- Ethan Snitker, Postville, dec. Tyler Lindhart, Zumbroda, 5-2.
- Alex Mayer, Riceville, lost dec. to Luke Schlee, GMLOK, 8-6.
- Zach Mueller, Central Elkader, dec. Keith Idso, Stewartville, 4-0.
- Austin Berry, MFL/Mar-Mac, lost dec. to Andy Churchill, Southland, 6-4.
- Tannor Burke, Crestwood, dec. Jon Hegge, Southland, 7-3.
- Cody Johnson, Nashua-Plainfield, lost dec. to Nathan Lexvold, Kenyon-Wanamingo, 11-3.
- Trevor Olson, Osage, dec. Tyler Stemper, Caledonia, 6-5.
- Michael Schwan, S. Winneshiek, lost by injury default to Bryce Struckmann, Stewartville.
- Theran Goodale, Osage, lost dec. to Jake Bonsack, United South Central, 2-1.
- Cody Bachman, MFL/Mar-Mac, dec. Jake Orth, Byron, 7-6.
- Kyle Formanek, MFL/Mar-Mac, dec. Mike Goeldi, 3-0.
- Max Dunlay, Osage, lost by fall to Jesse Schumacher, Plainfield-Elgin-Millville, 3:17.
- Nolan Hammel, Osage, fall over Casey Roser, Southland, 1:27.
- Mitch Kriener, Crestwood, dec. Zach Peterson, Plainview-Elgin-Millville, 8-4.
- Michell Schultz, Postville, dec. Bruce Babcock, Stewartville, 3-0.
- Blake Breitsprecher, S. Winneshiek, dec. Lavon Mueller, LaCrescent, 8-7.
- Dalton Smith, S. Winneshiek, dec. Nick Stevermer, United South Central, 1-0.
- Jay Bergeson, Turkey Valley, lost by fall to Drew Heying, Byron, 3:58.
- Ben Freidhof, Crestwood, lost dec. to Dan Stolarzyk, Stewartville, 12-5.
- Zach Rosol, Nashua-Plainfield, lost dec. to Parker Brand, Rushford-Peterson, 16-10.
- Calvin Luzum, S. Winneshiek, lost by fall to Josh Waldee, Rochester John Marshall, 1:40.
- Josh Scheer, Osage, lost by dec. to Phil LeFluer, Fillmore Central, 1-0.
- Ethan Snitker, Postville, dec. Jared Kuisle, Stewartville, 1-0.